Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wish I could tell the future

My Dad and I took my Mom to the lung Doctor at Baylor hospital yesterday morning. My brother met us there before the doctor came in the room. The doctor who seemed like a real nice guy told us that he looked at my moms images and stated that the damage from the Cancer was quite extensive. He said it looks like "small cell carcinoma". Apparently one of the worst types you can get. According to the oncologist my Mom may have only had the cancer for 5 to 6 months. The tumor is 4-5 inches big. This stuff is aggressive. I haven't looked it up on the internet because I don't want to know all the bad stuff it can do to someone. I'm just trying to focus on the good right now. My mom starts treatment tomorrow morning. The doctor told my Dad that this cancer spreads very fast but it also is killed by chemotherapy. So, the doctor told my dad it may extend my Mom's life for 8 to 10 months. That was good news at first. Of course I want my Mom to live as long as possible..but I don't want to see her suffer for all the time she has left. I told my Dad that and he said that he has talked to Mom about it and she decided that if it is too painful then they will stop the treatment and let the disease run it's course. I don't blame my Mom for thinking that way, especially after seeing her Dad go through the same thing.


On a different note, I flew back home yesterday afternoon. After being away for a week dealing with the issues with my Mom's health it was good to see three of my favorite people. It was so wonderul to be back with my wife and kids. As much as I didn't want to leave my Mom and Dad, I needed to get back to my family. My wife has been my rock this last week. She has taken care of me and the kids without taking a breath. What a wonderful women she is. I am so fortunate to have her in my life.


I went back to work today as well. I am so fortunate to have some coworkers who are the best in the world. They have made me being away from my job effortless. Thanks guys and gals for all you have done for me. Thanks for being a listening ear and providing words of encouragement. I always wondered why God has put me in this town with these people and now I think I have the answer.


Today I was talking with my Dad and I asked him how he was doing. He started to cry and said "she (my Mom) is his buddy and has been his buddy for 42 years. 42 years!!!! How do you let go of someone who has been around for so long. Then he said he wishes he would of treated her better. That just breaks my heart. Then we started to talk about what my Mom wants as far as funeral. He said she wants to be cremated. She has actually told me that before too. My Dad told me that when he passes, he wants my brother and I to take him and my moms ashes to a bridge in Arizona and let them fly. I hope that day doesn't come for some time but Dad, we will let you and Mom fly someday.


Well, like I said before, tomorrow is a new day...We are heading down to Texas to see my Mom. We are taking the rug rats along with us too. It's going to be long car ride and my 5 year old daughter keeps asking why we are not flying. She just doesn't understand money yet. She is very excited that she will get to see her cousins. She is also excited to see Pa Pa (my Dad). She mentioned that she may not get to see Grandma because Grandma is going to heaven. Yes sweetie, Grandma will be going to heaven...someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment